Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Digital Divide and Women: Knowledge I've Gained

MY THOUGHTS ON THE DIGITAL DIVIDE ASSIGNMENT:
I feel that from this assignment there is a bigger digital divide between men and women than I realized. The   digital divide between countries is of great significance, with the women in the US being behind the men and the women in poorer countries being significantly behind men. I feel that from my reports I have learned that men use social networking sites such as twitter to express themselves more, while women use it to follow celebs and latest trends. There is a website where women can access a forum and receive online support for breast cancer. In lesser countries women's divide is accounting for an digital backwardness, which in turn is making the countries economically poorer.

ANALYSIS ABOUT CLASSMATES DIGITAL DIVIDE REVIEWS:
I wanted to research other classmates reports on a different subject of the digital divide. I liked the articles that Anjali found on digital divide in minority groups. I found it interesting that blacks were more apt to using their phone's to access the web, whereas whites were more apt to use their computers. The article form the USA Today finds that blacks are being challenged more, not less by access to technology. For example, some things that may be easier to do on a computer such as filling out a job application. I found this article to be informative and was interesting to see how much the internet effects everyday life, especially when they say that people who do not have access to the internet miss out on about 65% of opportunities in life.
I decided to use evaluate Hannah's assignment, since she did hers on Digital Divide and Disabilities. Going through her assignment page I realize that there are some very useful links here and I decided to click on the regular google one about the Accessible Society. The first paragraph of the article caught my eye when it said that people with disabilities are 1/4 as likely as non disabled to use the internet. It's interesting because the internet can make things more accessible to people who are disabled. I agree with the article and think that if we can make the internet more accessible, it can help people with disabilities to be able to make life more accessible.

VIDEOS ON DIGITAL DIVIDE:
Here is an informative video I've found about a company that refurbishes computers to give to the community to help bridge the digital divide in Orange County, California. They bring refurbished computers to underprivileged school children, which they allow them to use in home and they also give the families training on how to use the computers. This is essential in helping the school children be able to keep up with the digital era and not fall behind.








As a response to Hannah's article about digital divide for people with disabilities I was curious as to what was being done to provide access to people with disabilities to help gain web access. This video on adapted technology being offered to the blind, and teaching them to be able to gain more internet accessibility is more of what I was looking for and offers useful information on what is being done to help bridge this gap.











No comments:

Post a Comment